About Occupy Baltimore
Occupy Baltimore is a coalition of people working to change the world. We oppose injustice nationally and globally; we work locally to build a better Baltimore.
In Baltimore, we want better schools and fewer jails; we want resources for the people, not tax breaks for developers. We have a city full of empty buildings and homeless people; vacant lots and food shortages. We want to put energy into things that will help the whole population of Baltimore, not just a chosen few.
On a larger scale, we oppose corporate power over politics and the media. Let's stop putting resources into destruction and start building a world that can survive.
STATEMENT OF PURPOSE, 10/22/2011:
Through the transformation of this public space Occupy Baltimore is expressing solidarity with other Occupy Movements throughout the nation and the world who are forcing attention to the issues of political and economic injustice.
Our purpose is to open for all people a lasting, transparent, and honest Democracy organized in a consensus model. Our goals will be defined by the consensus of our General Assembly. We offer to the people what corporate privilege and political complacency in out nation has taken from them.
Posters at McKeldin Plaza, original site of Occupy Baltimore. Photo: Lauren Adams.
A DRAFT STATEMENT FROM OCCUPY BALTIMORE, 10/4/2011:
The Occupy movement began on September 17th as people from a variety of backgrounds, ethnicities, and political views gathered on Wall Street. Their central message focuses on the political influence of Wall Street and Corporate America in our political system and the disparity between the top 1% of wealthiest American and the remaining 99%. The Occupy Wall Street movement is committed to nonviolence and has organized themselves to be a leaderless group, committed to participatory democracy and collective decision-making.
The Occupy Wall Street movement has inspired similar actions to begin in cities all across America. In Baltimore, the call to action was heard and the initial meeting was held on October 2nd. Together, as a group, the 200 plus folks who showed up for the first meeting made decisions on where and when the protest would begin. In following with models set up in New York and other cities, Baltimore formed several committees to disseminate responsibility and ensure all the needs of the group were met during the occupation.
Occupy Baltimore was started as a show of solidarity for those protesting on Wall Street. Individuals protesting bring their own specific goals and concerns and the group plans to highlight the diversity of issues inspiring those who are occupying. A plan to create a clear articulation of goals and demands are underway. In the meantime the group continues to find unity as the 99%.
The General Assembly schedule can be found on the calendar.
#occupybaltimore Sexual Offense Policy
Since its inception, #occupybaltimore has maintained a zero-tolerance policy against sexual harassment, abuse, and assault. We maintain that creating a safe space for all people is paramount to our goal of building community. We actively oppose sexual violence in all its personal, cultural, and systemic forms.
McKeldin: The early days. Photo: Graham Coreil-Allen.